I was so glad to have read that because that same day, I had a one-step back kind of day with Sydney. I only worked him on the long lines, but it didn't go very well. While asking for the canter, he returned to bolting to the outside. I had hoped we were past that. At one point during our work, his front legs got tangled and he fell to his knees as he tried to bolt to the outside. My heart sank. How could I make this easier for him? I knew we needed to finish on a positive note so we returned to walk and then did one trot circle followed by lots of praise and good boys. When he returned to his stall, he immediately pooped a very wet and loose pile. I also saw that my fleece-padded halter rubbed a tiny (but still visible) raw spot on his nose. I was discouraged.
I read Mr. Herbermann's words that night and felt comforted. He also said, "What can I do to help this horse at this moment?" I immediately thought about Sydney and vowed to do something better the next day. It occurred to me that what I really needed was a round pen to support him in the turn. Since I don't have a round pen, I needed to work as though I did have one.
I put Sydney in the long lines, and kept it in my mind that he was going to make the turn because the panels of my imaginary round pen would be there to support him. And since I had imaginary panels, I didn't need to worry about the outside rein as the panels would do that job. Instead, I needed to worry about keeping an inside bend and providing enough drive from behind to keep him going forward.
When I cued the canter, a little canter hop myself with a firm cluck, I kept the inside rein ready and imagined a "flag" in my outside hand. As Sydney began to balk at the canter, I slowed my own canter "hop" but exaggerated it and added a rhythmical CLUCK, CLUCK in time with the stride. When I felt him begin to stall out, I kept the inside rein bent, and I shook the outside rein hand as though I were snapping a flag. I also gave gave several hard kiss sounds and dropped back behind his hip in an effort to drive him through that turn. It worked!!!!
I don't know if I had been making that turn incorrectly before, but my new approach certainly helped this horse at this moment. Thank you Mr. Herbermann and Julie Goodnight!