It's not that I doubted Dressage Today, but I wanted to see the rule change for myself. I also wanted to investigate how a Level 1 show was different from Level 5 show. Here's that breakdown first:
- Level 5 Show: CDIs or USEF National Shows (etc.)
- Level 4 Show: USEF/USDF Regional Championships (etc.)
- Level 3 Show: USEF Developing Program qualifying competitions (your standard USDF show?)
- Level 2 Show: Required for competitions that do not meet the criteria for Levels 3-5 or exceed Level 1 requirements (what the heck does this mean?).
- Level 1 Show: Required for USEF licensed competitions that do not meet the criteria for Levels 2-5.
I am guessing that Level 1 and 2 shows are those that are rated by a GMO and not USDF. There are many CDS shows that aren't USDF/USEF rated, but they still follow all USEF rules and regulations. I guess if you're not sure, you need to ask the show manager.
Here is a part of USEF's Dressage Rule 120 regarding dress:
And of course, the biggest rule change to come down the pike is the helmet rule:
I won't be running out to Dover or Smartpak to redo my show attire. I'll stick with my black helmet, gray and black jackets, white breeches, white gloves, white ties, and black boots. The only thing I might add is a little bling here or there. I am still looking for the perfect belt ...