From Endurance to Dressage
This is a survey going around. I first saw it over on Sarah's site, Eventing in Color. I really enjoyed reading her answers, and it was fun to think of what I would have said, so I said it!
Splurge or Save:
1. saddle: splurge - I ride in a Custom Revolution
2. board: splurge - I could go way cheaper, but I like not dealing with idiots
3. halter: save? - I don't really care for web halters. Speedy goes in a Zilco halter (synthetic) while Sydney is in a rope halter, but both of those styles are relatively cheap when compared to the fancy leather ones
4. bit: Splurge - I like Mikmar and Myler bits, although Speedy is currently working in a JP Korsteel
5. bridle: save - can't find a nice one that fits Speedy
6. saddle pad: middle of the road - fit is more important than brand or style
7. trailer: Splurge - three horse with living quarters definitely counts as a splurge
First Thing That Comes to Mind:
1. Haflinger: nothing comes to mind ...
2. Quarter Horse: (offering a preemptive apology here ...) peanut roller
3. Thoroughbred: never had one until recently, still forming an opinion
4. Warmblood: would like to have one someday
5. Welsh Cob: nothing comes to mind ...
This or That:
1. English or Western: English
2. tall or short: short, but well proportioned!
3. trail ride or beach ride: trail - I've done the beach but find it boring
4. long mane or short mane: long for my Arab, short for my TB
5. hunters or jumpers: neither?
6. XC or barrel racing: XC sounds like more fun
7. outdoor arena or indoor arena: I like fresh air - outdoor
8. trot or canter: canter!
9. canter or gallop: out on the trail - gallop, schooling in the arena - canter
10. paddock boots, tall boots, or cowboy boots: paddock boots
11. horse shoes or barefoot: shoes
12. saddle or bareback: I can get a lot more done in a saddle
1. How long have you been riding? I am 41 years old and don't remember the first time on a horse, so 40 years?
2. Do you own or lease a horse? own
3. Breed? Age? Height? Name? Arabian, 8, 15' 1, G Ima Starr FA "Speedy G" and New Zealand TB, 10, 16' 0, Pick a Card "Sydney"
4. Do you have any other pets? an 11 month old labrador named Tobias
5. If your horse was a person, what kind of voice would he have (you can use a celebrity for an example)? I don't know, but Speedy's would be that of a fast talking, con man while Sydney's would be low and slow
6. Does your horse have a “color”? If so, what is it, and what do you have in that color? I tend to go for black or blue, but I have every color of bucket, rake, gloves, etc.
7. Does your horse do any tricks? Speedy stands rock solid while a whip is cracked all around him and even helicoptered over his head
8. Have you ever dressed your horse up for Halloween? uh ... no, and wouldn't want to!
1. Breed: Arabian
2. Discipline: Dressage (two years ago it would have been endurance!)
3. Coat color: I like them with chrome even though I don't have one with chrome
4. Famous horse: The Black Stallion
5. Horse race/competition: I really enjoy watching the Kentucky Derby
6. Brand of tack: no favorite - I am really into functionality
7. Thing to do with your horse: EVERYTHING
About the Writer and Rider
I am a lifelong rider.
I began endurance riding in 1996 where I ultimately completed five, one-day 100 mile races, the 200-mile Death Valley Encounter, and numerous other 50, 65, and 75 mile races. I began showing dressage in 2010.
Welcome to my dressage journey.
About Speedy G
Speedy went from endurance horse to dressage horse. After helping me earn a USDF Bronze medal in the summer of 2020, he is now semi-retired. Speedy is a 2004, 15'1 hand, purebred Arabian gelding. His Arabian Horse Registry name is G Ima Starr FA.
Izzy was started as a four-year old and then spent the next 18 months in pasture growing up. I bought him as a six-year old, and together, we are showing at the lower levels. He is a 2008, 16'3 hand warmblood gelding. His Rheinland Pfalz-saar International (RPSI) name is Imperioso.
National Rider Awards
State Rider Awards
State Horse Awards
CDS Sapphire Rider Award
Third Level: 63.514%
Third Level: 62.105%
2023 Show Season
(r) Ride-a-Test Clinic
2023 Show Schedule
2023 Completed …
2023 Qualifying Scores
Regional Adult Amateur Competition (RAAC)
Qualifying Training Level
3 Scores/2 Judges/60%: