When we arrived, we conducted the check in by phone. When the doctor was ready, Yellow Dog was taken into the clinic while we waited outside. After examining her, Dr. Campbell came outside to discuss some possible diagnoses as well as some tests that he could run to help more specifically pinpoint the cause of her lameness . With an ACL surgery on the table, none of us wanted to guess at her injury.
In his estimation, a sprain was the most likely cause of her lameness, not a torn ACL. He definitely wanted her in a splint, but he also thought it would be a good decision to take a sample of the fluid at the ankle and send it to a lab for analysis. We agreed. Since we were there, it made sense to run whatever diagnostics we could, especially since that particular one wasn't too highly priced. We should get the results in about 5 days. If it is indeed a sprain, the fluid will show signs confirming it. If not, well, we'll cross that bridge if we get there.
In all of our conversations about what if this and what if that, we never even considered the possibility that it could be such a simple injury. The cost of an ACL surgery was an issue, but more important was Yellow Dog's quality of life. We were just so worried that the doctor would be able to do the surgery only to tell us that she would need to be on a leash or in a crate for the rest of her life to protect the work done on her knee. That, I was just not willing to do. So when it turned out to be a probable sprain, we were both at a loss. I still don't think we believe it quite yet.