California has one new confirmed case of Equine Herpes Myeloencephalopathy (EHM) caused by EHV-1. There are now 20 confirmed EHV-1/ EHM cases in the state.
- The suspect case reported on 5/28 with low grade fever and moderate compatible neurologic signs has been confirmed positive for EHM.
- The positive confirmed cases are located in the following 13 counties: Amador(1), Colusa(1), Glenn(3), Kern(2), Los Angeles(1), Marin(1), Napa(1), Placer (3), Plumas(1), Sacramento (1), Shasta(1), Stanislaus(3) and Ventura(1).
- Sixteen(16) of the confirmed positive EHV-1/EHM CA cases participated in the National Cutting Horse Association’s Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah.
- Two (2) of the confirmed positive EHV-1/ EHM CA cases participated only in the Kern County Cutting Horse Event on May 13th in Bakersfield, CA.
- Two (2) of the confirmed positive EHV-1/EHM CA cases was an exposed horse to an Ogden, UT participant.
- Two (2) confirmed positive EHM horses were euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with EHM.
- All positive confirmed EHV-1/EHM cases are under a State Quarantine.