The Melbourne was designed with eventers in mind. It has a long double-layer cuff and no Velcro for a bulk free wrist area, and allows one to wear a watch over their glove. The backhand is made with ECONYL® yarn, which is made entirely from regenerated nylon waste (such as fishing nets) and is infinitely recyclable without sacrificing quality. The palm is made of Roeck-Air, a thin but hard wearing material designed for both grip and breathability.
A little extra that Toklat didn't mention is the handy little pull strap located on the inside of the wrist. At first, I thought it was there to affix the label to the gloves. As I was riding though, I felt myself reaching down to give my gloves a little tug to reposition them, something I obviously do without noticing. Since the gloves have a cuff, it was too form-fitted to grab and tug. When I looked down in confusion, I noticed the little pull tab positioned right where I needed to pull to get my gloves in exactly the right place. Ingenious!
The grip on the palm is what I expect from a pair of Roeckl gloves: grippy without being tacky or too sticky. The fit was true-to-size, if not maybe a bit generous. Don't trust me on sizing though. Since I've lost more than 40 pounds, everything seems to be running big. I've typically worn a 7.5 in gloves, but I could have maybe gone down to a 7.0.
The material on the back of the glove is thin and stretchy and feels almost like a pair of tights. I love that the fabric is made from 100% recycled nylon waste. When I checked out Econyl's website, the company who makes the fabric, I was heartened to read that they rescue nylon products from the ocean and landfills, clean and purify it, and then reuse it.
There aren't a whole lot of vendors here in the U.S. selling the Melbournes yet, so if you're interested your best bet would be to buy them from Toklat ($59.95) who carries every single Roeckl glove. Other retailers who carry them are Adams ($59.95) or in the UK, Horze (€42.95). Or, you can win a pair here!
1) Roeckl and the Riding Warehouse are giving away a pair of Roeckl Melbourne Gloves, black/size 7.5 and a $25 gift card, respectively.
2)The giveaway will run between Monday, April 22nd and Friday, April 26th.
3) Head over to Facebook and "Like" their page - Roeckl Equestrian.
4) Head over to Facebook and "Like" the Riding Warehouse's page.
5) Leave your email in the comment form so that I can contact you if you win. No one else can see your email address.
6) Leave a comment describing your experiences (if any) with Roeckl and Riding Warehouse.
7) Since I like simple, over the weekend, I'll write everyone's name down on a slip of paper and have my husband pull a name out of a hat (or whatever I find laying around).