From Endurance to Dressage
And still more from Tracy over at Fly on Over … or, more of My 5 Things.
11. Critique your horse’s conformation: hmmm … no thanks. You can though, and I won't be offended in the least. Both of my boys have tremendous strengths and a few weaknesses. I know what they are but since they can't be changed, there's no point focusing on them.
I couldn't find good profile photos of either boy: Speedy is in a wash rack so you can't really see all of him, and Sydney is camped out on a slight slope with what looks like a fish eye lens. Best of luck!
12. Horse’s favorite riding exercise: I think this is a funny question. Both of my boys thoroughly enjoy eating and turnout, but like me, they'd rather leave the exercising for another day. With that said, they do like it when I am balanced and supportive in my aids. One exercise that I do is the up, up, down exercise where I stay in rising trot for two beats and sit lightly for one beat. This exercise helps me lighten my seat and ride with a stable leg position and a steadier core. Speedy and Sydney appreciate my efforts.
13. Favorite spa day products: I am not a thorough groomer, but I am a daily groomer. Since I ride each boy at least 3 - 4 days a week, they get groomed quite frequently which I think keeps their coats shiny and smooth, naturally. When I want to get a bit fancy, I really like Eqyss Survivor Super Detangle and Shine and EQ Body Wash. I also use Mane and Tail Detangler, but really, frequent grooming seems to get the best shine out of my boys.
14. Three best things about your horse:
Speedy G: he simply oozes personality, he LOVES to go places, and he's wicked smart.
Sydney: his ground manners are superb, his canter is awesome, and he's a really kind soul.
15. Favorite picture of your horse: Lori of Simplee Focused has made this quite easy. She did a photo shoot of us last fall and took some lovely photos. The action shot of Speedy captured his sassy attitude perfectly, and the shot of Sydney and me always makes me smile; he's a Steady Eddy in the making.
About the Writer and Rider
I am a lifelong rider.
I began endurance riding in 1996 where I ultimately completed five, one-day 100 mile races, the 200-mile Death Valley Encounter, and numerous other 50, 65, and 75 mile races. I began showing dressage in 2010.
Welcome to my dressage journey.
About Speedy G
Speedy went from endurance horse to dressage horse. After helping me earn a USDF Bronze medal in the summer of 2020, he is now semi-retired. Speedy is a 2004, 15'1 hand, purebred Arabian gelding. His Arabian Horse Registry name is G Ima Starr FA.
Izzy was started as a four-year old and then spent the next 18 months in pasture growing up. I bought him as a six-year old, and together, we are showing at Second Level. He is a 2008, 16'3 hand warmblood gelding. His Rheinland Pfalz-saar International (RPSI) name is Imperioso.
National Rider Awards
State Rider Awards
State Horse Awards
CDS Sapphire Rider Award
Third Level: 63.514%
Third Level: 62.105%
2021 Show Season
(r) Ride-a-Test Clinic
(Q) Must Qualify
2021 Pending …
2021 Completed …
10/24-25 SCEC (***)
11/7-11/8 SB (***)
2021 Qualifying Scores
Regional Adult Amateur Competition (RAAC)
2nd Level Qualifying
3 Scores/2 Judges/60%:
Score 1: 60.610% Bhathal
2nd Level Qualifying
5 Scores/4 Judges/61%:
Stuff I Read