From Endurance to Dressage
Sarah, over at Eventing in Color, has challenged us to a 14 Photo Challenge. It was so much like a scavenger hunt that I immediately committed to play. She gave us 14 things to photograph, but all photos must be from 2014.
1. My Horse's Stall: I have two horses, of course, but both boys have identical stalls.
2. Favorite Saddle Pad: My Steffen Peters dressage pad is my all-time favorite pad. It's definitely seen better days, but it still works!
3. Barn ______?: I've posted pictures of Little Red Hen before. We tried for a cat, but he ended up living in the garage. LRH seems to relax the horses, and if nothing else, she does eat bugs.
4. Favorite Area to Ride At My Facility: That's kind of funny because I am not at a "facility." I board my horses at someone's house, and there are only four horses on the property, two of which are mine. Even so, we have an awesome arena which gives me plenty of room for schooling.
5. Between-the-Ears Shot, Out on a Trail Ride: since I have two horses, I really wanted both sets of ears so I took a ride down to the Kern River with Louisiana and got my double ear shot.
6. The Bottom of My Horse's Hoof: this one was pretty easy.
7. The Hay Stack at My Barn: it's not as big as most barns' stack since we only feed four horses, and one of them (Speedy G) also gets cubes.
8. Favorite Grooming Thing: this brush is a million years old, but it is the one that my boys like the best. It's soft, but brings out a lovely shine. I want another one just like it to keep in my trailer.
9. My Horse's Best Friend or Significant Other: how about frenemies? My boys get along well, but they sure get snippy with one another over the fence when I lead one out on his own. Since I've had Speedy the longest, I guess that makes Sydney the SO.
10. A Snapshot From My Commute to the Barn: not what you'd expect, but Kern County is rich in oil deposits (fifth largest oil field in the nation), and many of the 10,000 wells are within the city limits. I drive right along the edge of the Kern River Oil Field.
11. Between-the-Ears Shot, at a Random Location at My Facility: Speedy is quite the trouper and happily allows bareback rides in a halter which seemed the best way to get this particular shot on the list.
12. The Most Attractive Part of My Barn: The trees on this property are simply gorgeous, but at this time of year, they look more like naked scarecrows. My barn's property line starts at about the third tree down on the left. The trees surround the arena on all four sides.
13. Favorite Piece of Tack: Yes, I love my saddle, but I really love my new Micklem Bridle. I like it so much that I am buying one for Speedy G, too. It is so easy to put on, and keeping it clean is a breeze. If you've been thinking about getting one, DO IT!
14. Selfie with My Horse: yuck … I hate taking selfies. My arm always gets in the way, and I am never looking the right way. Here is what happened when I tried my selfies (1/2/14) with Sydney.
About the Writer and Rider
I am a lifelong rider.
I began endurance riding in 1996 where I ultimately completed five, one-day 100 mile races, the 200-mile Death Valley Encounter, and numerous other 50, 65, and 75 mile races. I began showing dressage in 2010.
Welcome to my dressage journey.
About Speedy G
Speedy went from endurance horse to dressage horse. After helping me earn a USDF Bronze medal in the summer of 2020, he is now semi-retired. Speedy is a 2004, 15'1 hand, purebred Arabian gelding. His Arabian Horse Registry name is G Ima Starr FA.
Izzy was started as a four-year old and then spent the next 18 months in pasture growing up. I bought him as a six-year old, and together, we are showing at Second Level. He is a 2008, 16'3 hand warmblood gelding. His Rheinland Pfalz-saar International (RPSI) name is Imperioso.
National Rider Awards
State Rider Awards
State Horse Awards
CDS Sapphire Rider Award
Third Level: 63.514%
Third Level: 62.105%
2021 Show Season
(r) Ride-a-Test Clinic
(Q) Must Qualify
2021 Pending …
5/16-17 El Sueño (***)
5/23 TMC (*)
6/12-13 SB (***) OR
6/19-20 El Sueño (***)
6/27 TMC (*)
7/3-4 Burbank (***) OR
7/17-18 El Sueño (***)
7/25 TMC (*)
8/14-15 RAAC (Q) (***)
8/29 TMC (*)
2021 Completed …
10/24-25 SCEC (***)
11/7-11/8 SB (***)
4/10-11 SCEC (***)
2021 Qualifying Scores
Regional Adult Amateur Competition (RAAC)
2nd Level Qualifying
3 Scores/2 Judges/60%:
Score 1: 60.610% Bhathal
2nd Level Qualifying
5 Scores/4 Judges/61%:
Stuff I Read