I saddled up yesterday in good spirits, ready to improve on the work we had done the two days prior. Who knows what happened? Maybe Sydney was sick of trying to canter. Either way, it just wasn't happening to the right.
I really tried every trick I knew. We did turns on the forehand, turns on the haunches, 10-meter circles, counter bent circles, and even lots of walking. I just couldn't get him to let go anywhere. By the end, I was all over that inside rein and vainly working my inside leg. The more effort I put into getting a bend and moving him off my inside aids, the more heavily he charged through them.
As I drove home, disgusted and frustrated, it occurred to me that the real problem was probably that I let his haunches escape to the outside. I have another lesson Monday; I hope JL can get me back on track. Today is another day.